20 Email Marketing Stats Small Businesses Need to Know
You know how they say, "The money is in the list?" Well, they're not joking. Email marketing is like a trusty old Swiss army knife in the digital marketing tool belt. It's reliable, powerful, and indispensable. And its popularity is only climbing.
But don't just take our word for it. Let's let the numbers do the talking.
Grab your morning brew, sit back, and prepare to dive headfirst into the world of email marketing. We've gathered 20 eye-opening stats that'll make you rethink your strategy, amp up your game, and possibly ignite a little love for the humble email.
Who knows? By the end of this article, you might just be clicking "send" more often than you ever thought you would. Buckle up, small business heroes. We're about to demystify the art of the inbox.
The Must-Know Email Marketing Stats for Small Businesses
If you're trying to decide if email is worth your time, effort, and budget, these 20 stats should give you some insight. We've broken these up into four sections for easy reading.
- Email Usage Stats
- The ROI of Email Marketing
- Email vs. Social Media
- Data-Backed Tips for Making Your Emails More Successful
Feel free to jump around to the sections most important to you or take a look at them all to really wrap your head around the power of email marketing.
Is Email Still Popular? Email Usage Statistics
While it may seem like emails are an old form of marketing, the following six stats prove that they're still popular – and growing!
- There will be 4.6 billion email users by 2025
This is a clear indication that email's popularity isn't slowing down anytime soon. With 4.6 billion users, you have plenty of potential prospects with available inboxes.
- The number of emails sent daily will be 378 billion by 2025.
Again, email is on the rise. With so many emails being sent each day, it's a clear sign that if you aren't emailing your target audience – your competitors probably are.
- 99% of email users check their emails daily.
How many times per day do you check your email? While nearly all email users check their emails at least once a day, some check them as much as 20 times per day!
- 64% of small businesses currently use email to connect with their customers.
Many small businesses make the mistake of believing only big corporations employ email marketing. However, that couldn't be further from the truth.
- 82% of marketers spend 1/5th of their budget on emails.
With such an impressive ROI (see below), there's no wonder why marketers devote such a hefty part of their budget to email marketing. This stat is useful to help you determine how much of your marketing budget to allocate to emails.
- 60% of people sign up to get emails from brands.
A lot of businesses are scared to send emails because they don't think their customers want them. However, according to the statistics, that fear may be unfounded.
Is Email Worth the Investment? The ROI of Email Marketing
Here's where the rubber meets the road. Does email actually result in revenue? According to the data, the answer is yes.
- Email has a huge return on investment – around $42 for each $1 spent (a 4,200% ROI).
A 4,200% ROI isn't anything to sneeze at. Let's run the numbers. If you were to spend just $100 a month on email, you could feasibly expect $4,200 in return.
- According to HubSpot data, email marketing is the most effective marketing channel.
HubSpot is sort of the King of digital marketing, and their extensive research shows that emails are more powerful than other means of marketing – even social media (more on that in a minute).
- Fifty-nine percent of people say emails affect their purchasing decisions.
More than half of the population agrees that emails inform their purchasing decisions and behavior. As a result, you want to make sure you're firing some out yourself!
Should You Prioritize Email Over Social Media? Email vs. Social Media Stats
Yes, social media marketing is important. However, too often, people forgo email marketing in favor of social media, but the stats show that may not be the wisest move.
- Email is almost 40X more effective at landing customers than social media.
As shocking as it is, email is better at landing customers than social media, which makes sense when you think about it. Social media is like the first level of a marketing funnel, whereas your emails play a bigger role in warming prospects up.
- Email conversion rates are 3X higher (on average) than social media marketing.
Getting three times as many conversions is pretty significant. It's like saying if you were to get 10 sales on social media, you could've gotten 30 via emails.
- Emails have around 6X more clicks than organic social media posts.
Clicks are a pretty big deal because clicks represent engagement, and according to this statistic, emails get six times as many clicks as social media posts do.
- Facebook messages are 5X less likely to be read than emails.
While it might seem like people would rather communicate via social media, this statistic says otherwise.
What Makes Emails More Successful? Personalization, Automation, and Best Tips
Emails can be a powerful tool. However, you have to know how to optimize your emails for maximum conversions. Here are a few stats to help you ensure your emails get results.
- Eighty-two percent of welcome emails are opened, explaining why welcome emails generate 320% more revenue than any other type of marketing email.
Make sure to send a welcome email, and ensure it's optimized to drive revenue with clear call-to-action items throughout.
- Automated emails are opened 2X as much as other marketing emails.
Automating your email marketing makes sending emails easier, and the good news is that it apparently makes it more successful, too.
- Emails with personalization in the subject lines have a 26% greater chance of being opened.
Add personalization, like first name, purchase data, or other relevant information to your subject lines for better results.
- Having a video in your emails can increase clicks by 300%.
There's no harm in trying something that increases clicks by 300%, right? There are loads of video AI software solutions out there that can make video creation a breeze.
- Segmented campaigns produce 760% more revenue than unsegmented campaigns.
Segmentation is simply breaking up your email lists by interest, demographics, purchase history, or another relevant factor to make sure people are only getting emails that are relevant to them. (For more information on segmentation, check out our blog on improving email conversion rates).
- Using a CTA (call-to-action) button instead of text results in 28% more clicks.
All your emails should include some kind of CTA, like schedule your demo, purchase now, talk to an expert, download your freebie, read the full blog here, etc. For maximum results, put that CTA on a button instead of just a text link.
- Sixty-two percent of emails are opened on a mobile phone.
This one shouldn't come as a surprise, but it illustrates the importance of making sure your emails are visible and accurate on mobile devices.
Incorporate Email Marketing Into Your Small Business Marketing Strategy
The data doesn't lie, and the data says that emails are a super effective way of getting better engagement, more sales, and building brand awareness. So, use the tips above to start working towards that 4,200% ROI!
For more tips and tricks on email marketing, check out our blog, "12 Ways to Instantly Improve Email Conversion Rates," here.
Subscribe to Marketing.Biz
Sign up to our newsletters and we'll keep sending free marketing resources.